About

Foto Encabezado Facultad

The Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile cultivates chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences critically and rigorously through the development of innovative and flexible study programmes focused on the student.

—Mission

The Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is recognised as a leading institution in education and research in the areas of chemical and pharmaceutical sciences. The Faculty’s strong record of achievements along its illustrious history is based on its excellence and commitment with the country’s development, which is reflected in its study and research programmes, as well as in its close relationship with industry and the public sector.

Presently it has 64 faculty members, 21 of whom are women, dedicated to teaching and research. Some of the research activities of the Faculty are carried out in association with various interdisciplinary research centres such as the Research Centre for Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials (CIEN-UC), Fraunhofer Foundation and the UC Centre for Energy, among others.

It is located at San Joaquín Campus, a 506.176 m2 complex with a 166.422 m2 built surface that includes 71 buildings, 10 Faculties and 4 Libraries. The Faculty of Chemistry’s infrastructure includes 65 research labs, 22 teaching labs, an instrumentation unit, a glass blowing workshop,the Test Centre and External Studies (CEQUC), and the Victor Pillon Auditorium.

The following are some of the milestones in the Faculty’s history:

1920: Foundation of the Santa Filomena Polytechnic Institute

1927: Creation of the graduate programme in industrial chemistry under the direction of Dr. Victor Pillon

1950: Graduate programme in industrial chemistry is incorporated to the Faculty of Technology

1953: First women enrolled in the graduate programme in industrial chemistry

1955: Creation of the graduate programme in Chemistry

1969: Foundation of the Faculty of Exact Sciences

1972: First PhD graduates in Exact Sciences with specialization in Chemistry (Current PhD in Chemistry)

1975: Foundation of the Chemical Sciences Institute

1982: Foundation of the Faculty of Chemistry

1989: First pharmacy graduates

2014: Dr. Ligia Gargallo receives the National Prize for Exact Sciences.